Recent studies will tell you that a landscaped garden in a home will increase its property value by an astonishing 14 percent!
Having a perfectly landscaped backyard will not only prove to be a real energy saver, but it will also improve the basic appearance of your home to an outsider, and it will also allow you to make use of the maximum space possible.
Also remember, although it is the space in front of your house that grabs your attention first, the backyard is equally important, because this is a space that is used for all the activities of a family; you can kick a ball around with your kids in your backyard, you can invite your friends over for a barbecue, or you can arrange your family get together in your own backyard!
In fact, the backyard can be a literal oasis for you and your family, and this is the reason why this space too needs to be landscaped well.
Here are some tips for you on how you can decorate and landscape your backyard so that it will serve you well for a long time to come.
- Keep your own personal taste and needs in mind when you plan the design. After all, this space is yours to use as you wish, and there is absolutely no need to make it look great, and then be afraid to use it in case it got messed up or something!
- Next, seriously think about how much time you have to spare in taking care of your landscaped backyard, and go ahead with the landscaping only if you are very sure of the amount of time you can reasonably spend on its maintenance. If you know you have very little time, you could think of using hardy shrubs and bushes that can survive very well with very little maintenance.
- A good bit of advice: stick to native plants and trees for your landscaping design. These plants will thrive in their natural environment, and will need much less maintenance than foreign plants.
- If you are an adventurous type of person, you could think of putting in a spa, or a small pool, or even an outdoor shower in your backyard. This sort of thing will make your family enjoy the great outdoors more, and have a lot of fun in the process.
- If yours is a large family, you could put in a barbecue pit, or picnic tables, complete with a colorful picnic umbrella. You could install a hammock.
The best part of owning a backyard is the fun you can have out of it, and in designing and landscaping it. Make it into a family project, and make everyone contribute to designing and landscaping your backyard.