The most important physical feature of your house, the roof is totally exposed to winds, hail, snow, pouring rains and other climatic conditions.
Consequently, it is most susceptible to damage, and should be maintained constantly.
Timeous inspection of damages and installing appropriate safety measures can help you to save on unexpected expenses that arise from roof repairs.
While asphalt roofs only last for about 15 years, slate, clay and tile can last longer with effective maintenance.
However, regardless of the type of roof, the key to longevity depends entirely on the amount of care you put into it. Here are few roof maintenance tips that could help significantly:
- As paint tends to shorten the life of shingles, they should never be painted. With the application of paint, shingles tend to crack and fade shortly. If you notice that your roofing material is starting to look the worse for wear, replace it with an effective one immediately.
- Wash your roof down with a garden hose, from top to bottom, at least once a season. If you direct water to the roof from the ground, there is a chance that water will seep in between the shingles. If you feel that a simple hosing down doesn’t clean your roof completely, use long-handled brushes to gently scrub the shingles.
- Check whether any trees are growing close to the roof of your house. Trees have the potential to cause enormous damage, as overhanging branches can break, puncture and damage roofing material.
- If you notice any black streaks or discoloration on the roof, immediately take necessary steps to protect your roof. This kind of discoloration mainly results from the growth of mould, fungus or algae. Trim trees in the vicinity of the roof to increase the air circulation and include zinc strips along ridges. This will help prevent the growth of mould, fungus, algae, etc.
- If you have a wooden roof, install copper flashings to prevent the growth of mildew and moss. Use the flashing under the top course with at least one inch exposed or to cap the ridge. You can also add additional flashings further down the roof for added security. Always ensure gutters are free of leaves and debris.
Seek help from manufacturers and follow up any suggestions to protect the roof of your house from damages incurred by the elements.