It is said that good indoor lighting is often invisible; this is because the mood and light provided should perfectly harmonize the rest of the house or room.
Bad lighting, on the other hand, is very visible – oftentimes making seeing difficult, or is too bright. Good indoor lighting not only provides aesthetic appeal to any space, but also serves a function or purpose wherever it is located.
This is why for each room in the house; there are specific basics for task lighting, such as in the kitchen, home office, bathroom, bedroom, and living room.
Things you should consider when planning indoor lighting
1. Function – What reason are you placing indoor lighting in a certain room? Illumination can be used for reading, playing a musical instrument, applying makeup, kitchen work, or writing. This type of lighting is called task lighting.
But in homes, you will also need illumination for walking in certain areas, or to place some light in dim areas. This type of indoor lighting is known as ambient lighting.
Furthermore, ambient lighting you will need in a kitchen is different from that you will need to illuminate a walkway. So understanding the types of lights you will use and the need for each is an important first step in selecting the right indoor lighting.
2. Lamps – A popular way to make use of indoor lighting, lamps come in a multitude of styles and textures that can range from simple and functional to vintage and luxurious. They can be bought in a number of styles that will complement your interior design, and are also very useful for indoor lighting.
Lamps are commonly used for task lighting in areas of the home such as the living room, bedroom, night table, work table, and study spaces.
They come in a number of sizes as well to adjust to your needs. Depending on the kind of lamp you choose and the bulb, you can also create certain moods in your personal space.
3. Types of bulbs – Each kind of bulb has their own specific uses and benefits. When choosing indoor lighting, it’s best to know about each type of bulb so you can use the corresponding proper lighting to meet your needs. Here are some of the most popular types of bulbs for indoor lighting and their uses:
- Incandescent bulbs – Standard types of bulbs, incandescent lighting is suitable for most household needs, and can also be used with a dimmer. They also have varieties of soft white bulbs which have a special coating for better light diffusion.
- Halogen – A variety of incandescent bulbs, halogen bulbs tend to have a longer life than incandescent bulbs and are more energy efficient. Halogen bulbs are also available in smaller sizes.
- Fluorescent – More popularly recognized as larger sized bulbs which are used to illuminate commercial and industrial spaces. However, they are also available today in incandescent-bulb sizes, and are good energy-efficient light bulbs.
- Light Emitting Diodes (LED) – A new type of bulb that has a longer life span and more energy efficient. They come in various sizes to suit home and office needs.