More than just a place for relaxing and recreation at home, your living room will speak volumes about your personal taste. But choosing the right living room accessories doesn’t have to be a daunting task.
Your living room will have certain design aspects and here is a guide to choosing the right living room accessories for all those aspects:
1. The first most important and crucial element of your living room accessories will be selecting the right chairs and sofa. After all you and your guests should be very comfortable, as this is a place of relaxing and unwinding.
It’s also your own discretion how big you want your living room seating area to be, and if you want to create a natural flow for two; conversation and seating areas.
Depending on how many persons you live with, and the number of persons you intend to entertain in your living room, there are various styles of living room accessories to choose from:
- Sofa – a staple in living room accessories, sofas vary in style and width, and a favorite in virtually every home for reading and watching television.
- Recliners – a popular for solo relaxing, and also a great place to take a nap.
- Bean bag chair – a great idea to brighten the room with bright colors, also great as reading chairs.
- Ottomans – commonly used as foot rests in more spacious living rooms, but can also double as stools if you have minimal space.
2. Media furniture is also equally important when choosing living room accessories. This will depend entirely on your personal choice of media, if you usually watch DVDs or are also fond of playing video games.
The right way to organize all your media furniture lies in selecting the right organizers. How you organize your media center will also have a big effect on the overall feel and functionality of your entire living room, so it’s best to think about this beforehand.
Here are some common ways of organizing media in your living room accessories:
- Entertainment centers – all in one storage and media components
- Media storage shelves – a great way to organize all your books, CDs, DVDs, etc
- TV armoire – makes simple living room accessories with a dash of vintage and character for your television set
3. The tables you use will also have a big impact on your living room’s overall look and feel.
Tables as living room accessories are not only functional but can also have essential design elements, based on the type you choose. Common types of tables you can use in your living room include:
- Coffee tables – functional and a good location for books and conversation pieces
- Side tables – for placing beside recliners and sofas, side tables are commonly used for lamps, remote controls, picture frames, and other living room accessories
- Television trays – mostly hidden and only brought out when needed, such as foldable types for use when eating in front of the television
4. Once you’ve decided on the major aspects, you can also add other living room accessories such as:
- Light fixtures
- Room dividers
- Plants and plant stands
- Flower vases