In any household, the living room is probably one of the areas where you spend the most amount of time next to the bedroom. It’s a space for entertaining, relaxing, unwinding, and for leisure quality time which is why your living room design should exude this atmosphere.
The living room design entails a number of elements that should complement each other, even with contrasts in colors and textures.
These entail the sofa, wall color, wall colorings, window, appliances such as a television and sound system, lights, carpeting, and window treatments.
Creating your living room design doesn’t have to be tricky or complicated. As a matter of fact, you can do it yourself anytime you want.
1. As with all interior design projects, your living room design project should first begin with a carefully created floor plan. With the sofa as the focal point of the room, where you will be spending most of your time as you sit with guests, watch television, or read, the sofa will take up most of the space as well and therefore should be planned out first. Once you have figured out the right place for the sofa, everything else will fall into place.
2. Use furniture arrangements to establish functional areas within the living room design. As some people would have more uses for their living room design than others, this should be expressed through its design.
For example, a living room that features a small nook for cozy reading can include a bean bag or a high-backed chair; or a spot where friends and family will be eating should include a food and drink-proof surface for carpets and table tops in their living room design.
3. You wouldn’t want your living room design to give off a feel that “too much is going on”; and to avoid this it’s best to visually tie together all the elements in the living room design.
Also, avoid going overboard with furniture and stick to simple pieces while letting interior such as carpets, tabletops, lights, and wall coverings do the rest of the talking.
4. When shopping for furniture and accents for your living room design, choose pieces that are classy and elegant as well as functional. Try scouring flea markets for unique vintage pieces such as tables and chairs that not only add aesthetic value to your living room but also function properly as needed.
You may also be lucky enough to find lampshades with beautiful intricate details in flea markets and antique shops, that although have minimal design to bring out a lot of character for the living room design.
5. Always ask for a second opinion. Remember you are no expert in this department. Seek the advice of your friends who did all the living room design in their own homes. You may also stick to the design ideas you have gathered from magazines and websites.
Rely on your instinct and apply what you’ve learned. Moreover, you should listen to suggestions of your friends and bring them along when you buy your living room furniture and decors.