When it comes to decorating a home, office, or any personal space, interior designing is used to create the desired atmosphere and a harmonious balance among furniture, colors, textures, and designs used.
You have the option of hiring a professional interior decorator, but this may be more costly than doing it yourself. With a few basics in interior designing, you can let your imagination go wild with creativity and still be able to use the essential elements when it comes to working out a design plan.
A successful room design should possess three basic characteristics for it to be attractive and convenient. Firstly, it must be functional. Next, it should exhibit a particular mood.
Lastly, there must be harmony. Interior designing can help you achieve these and more.
5 easy tips for interior designing
1. When it comes to color schemes, consult the color wheel to help you create the look, feel, and mood you are looking for in your personal space.
The color wheel is a handy tool used in interior designing because it clearly helps identify contrasting and complementing color sets. It also helps you lay out the rest of the furniture, accessories, and other elements you will want to incorporate into your design.
2. Draw up a good floor plan that will help you create a space that is fully functional and spacious enough for your needs. In order to create one, you will need to accurately measure spaces involved including windows, doors, closets, cabinets, and even electrical outlets that will determine where your appliances and furniture will be located.
3. Rooms and living spaces are a reflection of one’s own personal style. Use your style to guide the rest of your interior designing, combined with the proper functional elements you will be needing and of course, comfort.
There are also numerous styles to choose from that you can mix and match with your own preferences, such as Moroccan, Mediterranean, Feng-Shui inspired décor, traditional interior designing, Victorian, and many others. Feel free to research on various styles until you find one that you are comfortable to work with.
4. The type of lighting you will use will depend entirely on the room’s function. Lighting is an important element of interior designing, and should be carefully considered when planning out designs.
Lighting will differ for living room use, kitchen use, and bathroom use for example, so you will want to research which areas will need the most light to function properly and still create a relaxing mood.
Many types of lights are available, and make sure to take each into consideration during interior designing, some of these include fluorescent lights, halogen, and incandescent.
They can also be incorporated into a number of stylish interior designing elements, such as beautiful lamps, sleek desk lamps, ceiling lights, etc.
5. Research on textures and patterns you may want to incorporate into your personal space. They can serve as a highlight of a room and set a mood instantly.